1. Alif, Lām, Meem, Rā. These are the
verses of the Book; and what has been revealed to you from your Lord is the
truth, but most of the people do not believe.
2. It is Allāh
who erected the heavens without pillars that you [can] see; then He established
Himself above the Throne and made subject the sun and the moon, each running
[its course] for a specified term. He arranges [each] matter; He details the
signs that you may, of the meeting with your Lord, be certain.
3. And it is He who spread the earth and
placed therein firmly set mountains and rivers; and from all of the fruits He
made therein two mates; He causes the night to cover the day. Indeed in that
are signs for a people who give thought.
4. And within the land are neighboring
plots and gardens of grapevines and crops and palm trees, [growing] several
from a root or otherwise, watered with one water; but We make some of them
exceed others in [quality of] fruit. Indeed in that are signs for a people who
5. And if you are astonished, [O Muúammad] – then
astonishing is their saying, "When we are dust, will we indeed be
[brought] into a new creation?" Those are the ones who have disbelieved in
their Lord, and those will have shackles upon their necks, and those are the
companions of the Fire; they will abide therein eternally.
6. They impatiently urge you to bring
about evil before good, while there has already occurred before them similar
punishments [to what they demand]. And indeed, your Lord is full of forgiveness
for the people despite their wrongdoing, and indeed, your Lord is severe in
7. And those who disbelieved say,
"Why has a sign not been sent down to him from his Lord?" You are
only a warner, and for every people is a guide.
8. Allāh knows what every female carries and
what the wombs lose [prematurely] or exceed. And everything with Him is by due
9. [He is] Knower of the unseen and the
witnessed, the Grand, the Exalted.
10. It is the same [to Him] concerning you whether one
conceals [his] speech or one publicizes it and whether one is hidden by night
or conspicuous [among others] by day.
11. For each one are successive [angels] before and behind
him who protect him by the decree of Allāh.
Indeed, Allāh will not change the condition of
a people until they change what is in themselves. And when Allāh intends for a people ill, there is no repelling
it. And there is not for them besides Him any patron.
12. It is He who shows you lightening, [causing] fear and
aspiration, and generates the heavy clouds.
13. And the thunder exalts [Allāh]
with praise of Him – and the angels [as well] from fear of Him – and He sends
thunderbolts and strikes therewith whom He wills while they dispute about Allāh; and He is severe in assault.
14. To Him [alone] is the supplication of truth. And those
they call upon besides Him do not respond to them with a thing, except as one
who stretches his hands toward water [from afar, calling it] to reach his
mouth, but it will not reach it [thus]. And the supplication of the
disbelievers is not but in error [i.e. futility].
15. And to Allāh prostrates
whoever is within the heavens and the earth, willingly or by compulsion, and
their shadows [as well] in the mornings and the afternoons.
16. Say, "Who is Lord of the heavens and earth?"
Say, "Allāh." Say, "Have you
then taken besides Him allies not possessing [even] for themselves any benefit
or any harm?" Say, "Is the blind equivalent to the seeing? Or is
darkness equivalent to light? Or have they attributed to Allāh partners who created like His creation so that
the creation [of each] seemed similar to them?" Say, "Allāh is the Creator of all things, and He is the
One, the Prevailing."
17. He sends down from the sky, rain, and valleys flow
according to their capacity, and the torrent carries a rising foam. And from
that [ore] which they heat in the fire, desiring adornments and utensils, is a
foam like it. Thus Allāh presents [the example
of] truth and falsehood. As for the foam, it vanishes, [being] cast off; but as
for that which benefits the people, it remains on the earth. Thus does Allāh present examples.
18. For those who have responded to their Lord is the best
[reward], but those who did not respond to Him – if they had all that is in the
earth entirely and the like of it with it, they would [attempt to] ransom
themselves thereby. Those will have the worst account, and their refuge is
Hell, and wretched is the resting place.
19. Then is he who knows that what has been revealed to you
from your Lord is the truth like one who is blind? They will only be reminded
who are people of understanding –
20. Those who fulfill the covenant of Allāh and do not break the contract,
21. And those who join that which Allāh
has ordered to be joined and fear their Lord and are afraid of the evil of
22. And those who are patient, seeking the countenance of
their Lord, and establish prayer and spend from what We have provided for them
secretly and publicly and prevent evil with good – those will have the good
consequence of [this] home –
23. Gardens of perpetual residence; they will enter them
with whoever were righteous among their fathers, their spouses and their
descendants. And the angels will enter upon them from every gate, [saying],
24. "Peace be upon you for what you patiently endured.
And excellent is the final home."
25. But those who break the covenant of Allāh after contracting it and sever that which Allāh has ordered to be joined and spread corruption
on earth – for them is the curse, and they will have the worst home.
26. Allāh extends provision for whom He wills and restricts [it].
And they rejoice in the worldly life, while the worldly life is not, compared
to the Hereafter, except [brief] enjoyment.
27. And those who disbelieved say, "Why has a sign not
been sent down to him from his Lord?" Say, [O Muúammad], "Indeed, Allāh leaves astray whom He wills and guides to
Himself whoever turns back [to Him] –
28. Those who have believed and whose hearts are assured by
the remembrance of Allāh. Unquestionably, by
the remembrance of Allāh hearts are
29. Those who have believed and done righteous deeds – a
good state is theirs and a good return.
30. Thus have We sent you to a community before which
[other] communities have passed on so you might recite to them that which We
revealed to you, while they disbelieve in the Most Merciful. Say, "He is my
Lord; there is no deity except Him. Upon Him I rely, and to Him is my
31. And if there was any qur’ān by which the mountains would
be removed or the earth would be broken apart or the dead would be made to
speak, [it would be this Qur’ān], but to Allāh belongs
the affair entirely. Then have those who believed not accepted that had Allāh willed, He would have guided the people, all of
them? And those who disbelieve do not cease to be struck, for what they have
done, by calamity – or it will descend near their home – until there comes the
promise of Allāh. Indeed, Allāh does not fail in [His] promise.
32. And already were [other] messengers ridiculed before
you, and I extended the time of those who disbelieved; then I seized them, and
how [terrible] was My penalty.
33. Then is He who is a maintainer of every soul, [knowing]
what it has earned, [like any other]? But to Allāh
they have attributed partners. Say, "Name them. Or do you inform Him of
that which He knows not upon the earth or of what is apparent of speech?"
Rather, their [own] plan has been made attractive to those who disbelieve, and
they have been averted from the way. And whomever Allāh
leaves astray – there will be for him no guide.
34. For them will be punishment in the life of [this] world,
and the punishment of the Hereafter is more severe. And they will not have from
Allāh any protector.
35. The example of Paradise, which the righteous have been
promised, is [that] beneath it rivers flow. Its fruit is lasting, and its
shade. That is the consequence for the righteous, and the consequence for the
disbelievers is the Fire.
36. And [the believers among] those to whom We have given
the [previous] Scripture rejoice at what has been revealed to you, [O Muúammad], but among the
[opposing] factions are those who deny part of it. Say, "I have only been
commanded to worship Allāh and not associate
[anything] with Him. To Him I invite, and to Him is my return."
37. And thus We have revealed it as an Arabic legislation.
And if you should follow their inclinations after what has come to you of
knowledge, you would not have against Allāh any
ally or any protector.
38. And We have already sent messengers before you and
assigned to them wives and descendants. And it was not for a messenger to come
with a sign except by permission of Allāh. For
every term is a decree.
39. Allāh eliminates what He wills or confirms, and with Him is
the Mother of the Book.
40. And whether We show you part of what We promise them or
take you in death, upon you is only the [duty of] notification, and upon Us is
41. Have they not seen that We set upon the land, reducing
it from its borders? And Allāh decides; there
is no adjuster of His decision. And He is swift in account.
42. And those before them had plotted, but to Allāh belongs the plan entirely. He knows what every
soul earns, and the disbelievers will know for whom is the final home.
43. And those who have disbelieved say, "You are not a
messenger." Say, [O Muúammad], "Sufficient is Allāh as
Witness between me and you, and [the witness of] whoever has knowledge of the