1. Alif, Lām, Rā. [This is] a Book which
We have revealed to you, [O Muúammad], that you might bring mankind out of darknesses into the light by
permission of their Lord – to the path of the Exalted in Might, the
2. Allāh, to whom belongs whatever is in the
heavens and whatever is on the earth. And woe to the disbelievers from a severe
3. The ones who prefer the worldly life
over the Hereafter and avert [people] from the way of Allāh,
seeking to make it (seem) deviant. Those are in extreme error.
4. And We did not send any messenger
except [speaking] in the language of his people to state clearly for them, and Allāh sends astray [thereby] whom He wills and guides
whom He wills. And He is the Exalted in Might, the Wise.
5. And We certainly sent Moses with Our
signs, [saying], "Bring out your people from darknesses into the light and
remind them of the days of Allāh." Indeed
in that are signs for everyone patient and grateful.
6. And [recall, O Children of Israel],
when Moses said to His people, "Remember the favor of Allāh upon you when He saved you from the people of
Pharaoh, who were afflicting you with the worst torment and were slaughtering
your [newborn] sons and keeping your females alive. And in that was a great
trial from your Lord.
7. And [remember] when your Lord
proclaimed, 'If you are grateful, I will surely increase you [in favor]; but if
you deny, indeed, My punishment is severe.' "
8. And Moses said, "If you should
disbelieve, you and whoever is on the earth entirely – indeed, Allāh is Free of need and Praiseworthy."
9. Has there not reached you the news of
those before you – the people of Noah and ‘Aad and Thamūd and those after them?
No one knows them but Allāh. Their messengers
brought them clear proofs, but they returned their hands to their mouths and
said, "Indeed, we disbelieve in that with which you have been sent, and
indeed we are, about that to which you invite us, in disquieting doubt."
10. Their messengers said, "Can there be doubt about Allāh, Creator of the heavens and earth? He invites
you that He may forgive you of your sins, and He delays your death for a
specified term." They said, “You are not but men like us who wish to avert
us from what our fathers were worshipping. So bring us a clear authority."
11. Their messengers said to them, "We are only men
like you, but Allāh confers favor upon whom He
wills of His servants. It has never been for us to bring you evidence except by
permission of Allāh. And upon Allāh let the believers rely.
12. And why should we not rely upon Allāh
while He has guided us to our [good] ways. And we will surely be patient
against whatever harm you should cause us. And upon Allāh
let those who would rely [indeed] rely."
13. And those who disbelieved said to their messengers,
"We will surely drive you out of our land, or you must return to our
religion." So their Lord inspired to them, "We will surely destroy
14. And We will surely cause you to dwell in the land after
them. That is for he who fears My position and fears My threat."
15. And they requested victory from Allāh,
and disappointed, [therefore], was every obstinate tyrant.
16. Before him is Hell, and he will be given a drink of
17. He will gulp it but will hardly [be able to] swallow it.
And death will come to him from everywhere, but he is not to die. And before
him is a massive punishment.
18. The example of those who disbelieve in their Lord is
[that] their deeds are like ashes which the wind blows forcefully on a stormy
day; they are unable [to keep] from what they earned a [single] thing. That is
what is extreme error.
19. Have you not seen that Allāh created
the heavens and the earth in truth? If He wills, He can do away with you and
produce a new creation.
20. And that is not difficult for Allāh.
21. And they will come out [for judgement] before Allāh all together, and the weak will say to those
who were arrogant, "Indeed, we were your followers, so can you avail us
anything against the punishment of Allāh?"
They will say, "If Allāh had guided us, we
would have guided you. It is all the same for us whether we show intolerance or
are patient: there is for us no place of escape."
22. And Satan will say when the matter has been concluded,
"Indeed, Allāh had promised you the
promise of truth. And I promised you, but I betrayed you. But I had no authority
over you except that I invited you, and you responded to me. So do not blame
me; but blame yourselves. I cannot be called to your aid, nor can you be called
to my aid. Indeed, I deny your association of me [with Allāh]
before. Indeed, for the wrongdoers is a painful punishment."
23. And those who believed and did righteous deeds will be
admitted to gardens beneath which rivers flow, abiding eternally therein by
permission of their Lord; and their greeting therein will be,
24. Have you not considered how Allāh
presents an example, [making] a good word like a good tree, whose root is
firmly fixed and its branches [high] in the sky?
25. It produces its fruit all the time, by permission of its
Lord. And Allāh presents examples for the
people that perhaps they will be reminded.
26. And the example of a bad word is like a bad tree,
uprooted from the surface of the earth, not having any stability.
27. Allāh keeps firm those who believe, with the firm word, in
worldly life and in the Hereafter. And Allāh
sends astray the wrongdoers. And Allāh does
what He wills.
28. Have you not considered those who exchanged the favor of
Allāh for disbelief and settled their people
[in] the home of ruin?
29. [It is] Hell, which they will [enter to] burn, and
wretched is the settlement.
30. And they have attributed to Allāh
equals to mislead [people] from His way. Say, “Enjoy yourselves, for indeed,
your destination is the Fire."
31. [O Muúammad], tell My servants who have believed to establish prayer and spend
from what We have provided them, secretly and publicly, before a Day comes in
which there will be no exchange, nor any friendships.
32. It is Allāh who created
the heavens and the earth and sent down rain from the sky and produced thereby
some fruits as provision for you and subjected for you the ships to sail
through the sea by His command and subjected for you the rivers.
33. And He subjected for you the sun and the moon,
continuous [in orbit], and subjected for you the night and the day.
34. And He gave you from all you asked of Him. And if you
should count the favor of Allāh, you could not
enumerate them. Indeed, mankind is [generally] most unjust and ungrateful.
35. And [mention, O Muúammad], when Abraham said, "My Lord, make
this city [Makkah] secure and keep me and my sons away from worshipping idols.
36. My Lord, indeed they have led astray many among the
people. So whoever follows me – then he is of me; and whoever disobeys me –
indeed, You are [yet] Forgiving and Merciful.
37. Our Lord, I have settled some of my descendants in an
uncultivated valley near Your sacred House, our Lord, that they may establish
prayer. So make hearts among the people incline toward them and provide for
them from the fruits that they might be grateful.
38. Our Lord, indeed You know what we conceal and what we
declare, and nothing is hidden from Allāh on
the earth or in the heaven.
39. Praise to Allāh, who has
granted to me in old age Ishmael and Isaac. Indeed, my Lord is the Hearer of
40. My Lord, make me an establisher of prayer, and [many]
from my descendants. Our Lord, and accept my supplication.
41. Our Lord, forgive me and my parents and the believers
the Day the account is established."
42. And never think that Allāh
is unaware of what the wrongdoers do. He only delays them for a Day when eyes
will stare [in horror].
43. Racing ahead, their heads raised up, their glance does
not come back to them, and their hearts are void.
44. And, [O Muúammad], warn the people of a Day when the
punishment will come to them and those who did wrong will say, "Our Lord,
delay us for a short term; we will answer Your call and follow the
messengers." [But it will be said], "Had you not sworn, before, that
for you there would be no cessation?
45. And you lived among the dwellings of those who wronged
themselves, and it had become clear to you how We dealt with them. And We
presented for you [many] examples."
46. And they had planned their plan, but with Allāh is [recorded] their plan, even if their plan
had been [sufficient] to do away with the mountains.
47. So never think that Allāh
will fail in His promise to His messengers. Indeed, Allāh
is Exalted in Might and Owner of Retribution.
48. [It will be] on the Day the earth will be replaced by
another earth, and the heavens [as well], and all creatures will come out
before Allāh, the One, the Prevailing.
49. And you will see the criminals that Day bound together
50. Their garments of liquid pitch and their faces covered
by the Fire.
51. So that Allāh will
recompense every soul for what it earned. Indeed, Allāh
is swift in account.
52. This [Qur’ān] is notification for the people that they
may be warned thereby and that they may know that He is but one God and that
those of understanding will be reminded.