1. [This is] a sūrah which We have sent down and made [that
within it] obligatory and revealed therein verses of clear evidence that you
2. The [unmarried] woman or [unmarried] man found guilty
of sexual intercourse – lash each one of them with a hundred lashes, and do not
be taken by pity for them in the religion of Allāh,
if you should believe in Allāh and the Last
Day. And let a group of the believers witness their punishment.
3. The fornicator does not marry except a [female]
fornicator or polytheist, and none marries her except a fornicator or a
polytheist, and that has been made unlawful to the believers.
4. And those who accuse chaste women and then do not
produce four witnesses – lash them with eighty lashes and do not accept from
them testimony ever after. And those are the defiantly disobedient,
5. Except for those who repent thereafter and reform,
for indeed, Allāh is Forgiving and Merciful.
6. And those who accuse their wives [of adultery] and
have no witnesses except themselves – then the witness of one of them [shall
be] four testimonies [swearing] by Allāh that
indeed, he is of the truthful.
7. And the fifth [oath will be] that the curse of Allāh be upon him if he should be among the liars.
8. But it will prevent punishment from her if she
gives four testimonies [swearing] by Allāh that
indeed, he is of the liars.
9. And the fifth [oath will be] that the wrath of Allāh be upon her if he was of the truthful.
10. And if not for the favor of Allāh
upon you and His mercy…and because Allāh is
Accepting of repentance and Wise.
11. Indeed, those who came with falsehood are a group among you.
Do not think it bad for you; rather it is good for you. For every person among
them is what [punishment] he has earned from the sin, and he who took upon
himself the greater portion thereof – for him is a great punishment.
12. Why, when you heard it, did not the believing men and
believing women think good of one another and say, “This is an obvious
13. Why did they [who slandered] not produce for it four
witnesses? And when they do not produce the witnesses, then it is they, in the
sight of Allāh, who are the liars.
14. And if it had not been for the favor of Allāh upon you and His mercy in this world and the
Hereafter, you would have been touched for that [lie] in which you were
involved by a great punishment
15. When you received it with your tongues and said with your
mouths that of which you had no knowledge and thought it was insignificant
while it was, in the sight of Allāh,
16. And why, when you heard it, did you not say, “It is not for us
to speak of this. Exalted are You, [O Allāh];
this is a great slander”?
17. Allāh warns you against
returning to the likes of this [conduct], ever, if you should be believers.
18. And Allāh makes clear to you
the verses, and Allāh is Knowing and Wise.
19. Indeed, those who like that immorality should be spread [or
publicized] among those who have believed will have a painful punishment in
this world and the Hereafter. And Allāh knows
and you do not know.
20. And if it had not been for the favor of Allāh upon you and His mercy…and because Allāh is Kind and Merciful.
21. O you who have believed, do not follow the footsteps of Satan.
And whoever follows the footsteps of Satan – indeed, he enjoins immorality and
wrongdoing. And if not for the favor of Allāh
upon you and His mercy, not one of you would have been pure, ever, but Allāh purifies whom He wills, and Allāh is Hearing and Knowing.
22. And let not those of virtue among you and wealth swear not to
give [aid] to their relatives and the needy and the emigrants for the cause of Allāh, and let them pardon and overlook. Would you
not like that Allāh should forgive you? And Allāh is Forgiving and Merciful.
23. Indeed, those who [falsely] accuse chaste, unaware and
believing women are cursed in this world and the Hereafter; and they will have
a great punishment
24. On a Day when their tongues, their hands and their feet will
bear witness against them as to what they used to do.
25. That Day, Allāh will pay them
in full their deserved recompense, and they will know that it is Allāh who is the perfect in justice.
26. Evil words are for evil men, and evil men are [subjected] to
evil words. And good words are for good men, and good men are [an object] of
good words. Those [good people] are declared innocent of what the slanderers
say. For them is forgiveness and noble provision.
27. O you who have believed, do not enter houses other than your
own houses until you ascertain welcome and greet their inhabitants. That is
best for you; perhaps you will be reminded.
28. And if you do not find anyone therein, do not enter them until
permission has been given you. And if it is said to you, “Go back,” then go
back; it is purer for you. And Allāh is Knowing
of what you do.
29. There is no blame upon you for entering houses not inhabited
in which there is convenience for you. And Allāh
knows what you reveal and what you conceal.
30. Tell the believing men to reduce [some] of their vision and
guard their private parts. That is purer for them. Indeed, Allāh is Acquainted with what they do.
31. And tell the believing women to reduce [some] of their vision
and guard their private parts and not expose their adornment except that which
[necessarily] appears thereof and to wrap [a portion of] their headcovers over
their chests and not expose their adornment except to their husbands, their
fathers, their husbands’ fathers, their sons, their husbands’ sons, their
brothers, their brothers’ sons, their sisters’ sons, their women, that which
their right hands possess, or those male attendants having no physical desire,
or children who are not yet aware of the private aspects of women. And let them
not stamp their feet to make known what they conceal of their adornment. And
turn to Allāh in repentance, all of you, O
believers, that you might succeed.
32. And marry the unmarried among you and the righteous among your
male slaves and female slaves. If they should be poor, Allāh
will enrich them from His bounty, and Allāh is
all-Encompassing and Knowing.
33. But let them who find not [the means for] marriage abstain [from
sexual relations] until Allāh enriches them
from His bounty. And those who seek a contract [for eventual emancipation] from
among whom your right hands possess – then make a contract with them if you
know there is within them goodness and give them from the wealth of Allāh which He has given you. And do not compel your
slave girls to prostitution, if they desire chastity, to seek [thereby] the
temporary interests of worldly life. And if someone should compel them, then
indeed, Allāh is [to them], after their
compulsion, Forgiving and Merciful.
34. And We have certainly sent down to you distinct verses and
examples from those who passed on before you and an admonition for those who
35. Allāh is the Light of the
heavens and the earth. The example of His light is like a niche within which is
a lamp, the lamp is within glass, the glass as if it were a pearly [white] star
lit from [the oil of] a blessed olive tree, neither of the east nor of the
west, whose oil would almost glow even if untouched by fire. Light upon light. Allāh guides to His light whom He wills. And Allāh presents examples for the people, and Allāh is Knowing of all things.
36. [Such niches are] in mosques which Allāh
has ordered to be raised and that His name be mentioned therein; exalting Him
within them in the morning and the evenings
37. [Are] men whom neither commerce nor sale distracts from the
remembrance of Allāh and performance of prayer
and giving of zakāh. They fear a Day in which the hearts and eyes will
[fearfully] turn about –
38. That Allāh may reward them
[according to] the best of what they did and increase them from His bounty. And
Allāh gives provision to whom He wills without
39. But those who disbelieved – their deeds are like a mirage in a
lowland which a thirsty one thinks is water until, when he comes to it, he
finds it is nothing but finds Allāh before Him,
and He will pay him in full his due; and Allāh
is swift in account.
40. Or [they are] like darknesses within an unfathomable sea which
is covered by waves, upon which are waves, over which are clouds – darknesses,
some of them upon others. When one puts out his hand [therein], he can hardly
see it. And he to whom Allāh has not granted
light – for him there is no light.
41. Do you not see that Allāh is
exalted by whomever is within the heavens and the earth and [by] the birds with
wings spread [in flight]? Each [of them] has known his [means of] prayer and
exalting [Him], and Allāh is Knowing of what
42. And to Allāh belongs the
dominion of the heavens and the earth, and to Allāh
is the destination.
43. Do you not see that Allāh
drives clouds? Then He brings them together, then He makes them into a mass,
and you see the rain emerge from within it. And He sends down from the sky,
mountains [of clouds] within which is hail, and He strikes with it whom He
wills and averts it from whom He wills. The flash of its lightening almost
takes away the eyesight.
44. Allāh alternates the night and
the day. Indeed in that is a lesson for those who have vision.
45. Allāh has created every
[living] creature from water. And of them are those that move on their bellies,
and of them are those that walk on two legs, and of them are those that walk on
four. Allāh creates what He wills. Indeed, Allāh is over all things competent.
46. We have certainly sent down distinct verses. And Allāh guides whom He wills to a straight path.
47. But the hypocrites say, “We have believed in Allāh and in the Messenger, and we obey”; then a
party of them turns away after that. And those are not believers.
48. And when they are called to [the words of] Allāh and His Messenger to judge between them, at
once a party of them turns aside [in refusal].
49. But if the right is theirs, they come to him in prompt
50. Is there disease in their hearts? Or have they doubted? Or do
they fear that Allāh will be unjust to them, or
His Messenger? Rather, it is they who are the wrongdoers.
51. The only statement of the [true] believers when they are
called to Allāh and His Messenger to judge
between them is that they say, “We hear and we obey.” And those are the
52. And whoever obeys Allāh and
His Messenger and fears Allāh and is conscious
of Him – it is those who are the attainers.
53. And they swear by Allāh their
strongest oaths that if you ordered them, they would go forth [in Allāh’s cause]. Say, “Do not swear. [Such] obedience
is known. Indeed, Allāh is Acquainted with that
which you do.”
54. Say, “Obey Allāh and obey the
Messenger; but if you turn away – then upon him is only that [duty] with which
he has been charged, and upon you is that with which you have been charged. And
if you obey him, you will be [rightly] guided. And there is not upon the
Messenger except the [responsibility for] clear notification.”
55. Allāh has promised those who
have believed among you and done righteous deeds that He will surely grant them
succession [to authority] upon the earth just as He granted it to those before
them and that He will surely establish for them [therein] their religion which
He has preferred for them and that He will surely substitute for them, after
their fear, security, [for] they worship Me, not associating anything with Me.
But whoever disbelieves after that – then those are the defiantly disobedient.
56. And establish prayer and give zakāh and obey the Messenger –
that you may receive mercy.
57. Never think that the disbelievers are causing failure [to Allāh] upon the earth. Their refuge will be the Fire
– and how wretched the destination.
58. O you who have believed, let those whom your right hands
possess and those who have not [yet] reached puberty among you ask permission
of you [before entering] at three times: before the dawn prayer and when you
put aside your clothing [for rest] at noon and after the night prayer. [These
are] three times of privacy for you. There is no blame upon you nor upon them
beyond these [periods], for they continually circulate among you – some of you,
among others. Thus does Allāh make clear to you
the verses; and Allāh is Knowing and Wise.
59. And when the children among you reach puberty, let them ask
permission [at all times] as those before them have done. Thus does Allāh make clear to you His verses; and Allāh is Knowing and Wise.
60. And women of post-menstrual age who have no desire for
marriage – there is no blame upon them for putting aside their outer garments
[but] not displaying adornment. But to modestly refrain [from that] is better
for them. And Allāh is Hearing and Knowing.
61. There is not upon the blind [any] constraint nor upon the lame
constraint nor upon the ill constraint nor upon yourselves when you eat from
your [own] houses or the houses of your fathers or the houses of your mothers
or the houses of your brothers or the houses of your sisters or the houses of
your father’s brothers or the houses of your father’s sisters or the houses of
your mother’s brothers or the houses of your mother’s sisters or [from houses]
whose keys you possess or [from the house] of your friend. There is no blame
upon you whether you eat together or separately. But when you enter houses,
give greetings of peace upon each other – a greeting from Allāh, blessed and good. Thus does Allāh make clear to you the verses [of ordinance]
that you may understand.
62. The believers are only those who believe in Allāh and His Messenger and, when they are [meeting]
with him for a matter of common interest, do not depart until they have asked
his permission. Indeed, those who ask your permission, [O Muúammad] – those are
the ones who believe in Allāh and His
Messenger. So when they ask your permission for something of their affairs,
then give permission to whom you will among them and ask forgiveness for them
of Allāh. Indeed, Allāh
is Forgiving and Merciful.
63. Do not make [your] calling of the Messenger among yourselves
as the call of one of you to another. Already Allāh
knows those of you who slip away, concealed by others. So let those beware who
dissent from the Prophet’s order, lest fitnah strike them or a painful
64. Unquestionably, to Allāh
belongs whatever is in the heavens and earth. Already He knows that upon which
you [stand] and [knows] the Day when they will be returned to Him and He will
inform them of what they have done. And Allāh
is Knowing of all things.