Alif, Lām, Meem
Do the people think that they
will be left to say, “We believe” and they will not be tried?
But We have certainly tried those
before them, and Allāh will surely make evident
those who are truthful, and He will surely make evident the liars.
Or do those who do evil deeds
think they can outrun Us? Evil is what they judge.
Whoever should hope for the
meeting with Allāh – indeed, the term decreed
by Allāh is coming. And He is the Hearing, the
And whoever strives only strives
for [the benefit of] himself. Indeed, Allāh is
free from need of the worlds.
And those who believe and do
righteous deeds – We will surely remove from them their misdeeds and will
surely reward them according to the best of what they used to do.
And We have enjoined upon man
goodness to parents. But if they endeavor to make you associate with Me that of
which you have no knowledge, do not obey them. To Me is your return, and I will
inform you about what you used to do.
And those who believe and do
righteous deeds – We will surely admit them among the righteous [into
10. And of the people are some who say, “We believe in Allāh,” but when one [of them] is harmed for [the
cause of] Allāh, they consider the trial of the
people as [if it were] the punishment of Allāh.
But if victory comes from your Lord, they say, “Indeed, We were with you.” Is
not Allāh most knowing of what is within the
breasts of all creatures?
11. And Allāh will surely make
evident those who believe, and He will surely make evident the hypocrites.
12. And those who disbelieve say to those who believe, “Follow
our way, and we will carry your sins.” But they will not carry anything of
their sins. Indeed, they are liars.
13. But they will surely carry their [own] burdens and [other]
burdens along with their burdens, and they will surely be questioned on the Day
of Resurrection about what they used to invent.
14. And We certainly sent Noah to his people, and he remained
among them a thousand years minus fifty years, and the flood seized them while
they were wrongdoers.
15. But We saved him and the companions of the ship, and We made
it a sign for the worlds.
16. And [We sent] Abraham, when he said to his people, “Worship Allāh and fear Him. That is best for you, if you
17. You only worship, besides Allāh,
idols, and you produce a falsehood. Indeed, those you worship besides Allāh do not possess for you [the power of] provision.
So seek from Allāh provision and worship Him
and be grateful to Him. To Him you will be returned.”
18. And if you [people] deny [the message] – already nations
before you have denied. And there is not upon the Messenger except [the duty
of] clear notification.
19. Have they not considered how Allāh
begins creation and then repeats it? Indeed that, for Allāh,
20. Say, [O Muúammad], “Travel through the land and observe how
He began creation. Then Allāh will produce the
final creation. Indeed Allāh, over all things,
21. He punishes whom He wills and has mercy upon whom He wills,
and to Him you will be returned.
22. And you will not cause failure [to Allāh]
upon the earth or in the heaven. And you have not other than Allāh any protector or any helper.
23. And the ones who disbelieve in the signs of Allāh and the meeting with Him – those have despaired
of My mercy, and they will have a painful punishment.
24. And the answer of Abraham’s people was not but that they
said, “Kill him or burn him,” but Allāh saved
him from the fire. Indeed in that are signs for a people who believe.
25. And [Abraham] said, “You have only taken, other than Allāh, idols as [a bond of] affection among you in
worldly life. Then on the Day of Resurrection you will deny one another and
curse one another, and your refuge will be the Fire, and you will not have any
26. And Lot believed him. [Abraham] said, “Indeed, I will
emigrate to [the service of] my Lord. Indeed, He is the Exalted in Might, the
27. And We gave to Him Isaac and Jacob and placed in his
descendants prophethood and scripture. And We gave him his reward in this
world, and indeed, he is in the Hereafter among the righteous.
28. And [mention] Lot, when he said to his people, “Indeed, you
commit such immorality as no one has preceded you with from among the worlds.
29. Indeed, you approach men and obstruct the road and commit in
your meetings [every] evil.” And the answer of his people was not but they
said, “Bring us the punishment of Allāh, if you
should be of the truthful.”
30. He said, “My Lord, support me against the corrupting
31. And when Our messengers came to Abraham with the good
tidings, they said, “Indeed, we will destroy the people of that Lot’s city.
Indeed, its people have been wrongdoers.”
32. [Abraham] said, “Indeed, within it is Lot.” They said, “We
are more knowing of who is within it. We will surely save him and his family,
except his wife. She is to be of those who remain behind.”
33. And when Our messengers came to Lot, he was distressed for
them and felt for them great discomfort. They said, “Fear not, nor grieve.
Indeed, we will save you and your family, except your wife; she is to be of
those who remain behind.
34. Indeed, we will bring down on the people of this city
punishment from the sky because they have been defiantly disobedient.”
35. And We have certainly left of it a sign as clear evidence
for a people who use reason.
36. And to Madyan [We sent] their brother Shu‘ayb, and he said,
“O my people, worship Allāh and expect the Last
Day and do not commit abuse on the earth, spreading corruption.”
37. But they denied him, so the earthquake seized them, and they
became within their home [corpses] fallen prone.
38. And [We destroyed] ‘Aad and Thamūd, and it has become clear
to you from their [ruined] dwellings. And Satan had made pleasing to them their
deeds and averted them from the path, and they were endowed with perception.
39. And [We destroyed] Qārūn and Pharaoh and Hāmān. And Moses
had already come to them with clear evidences, and they were arrogant in the
land, but they were not outrunners [of Our punishment].
40. So each We seized for his sin; and among them were those
upon whom We sent a storm of stones, and among them were those who were seized
by the blast [from the sky], and among them were those whom We caused the earth
to swallow, and among them were those whom We drowned. And Allāh would not have wronged them, but it was they
who were wronging themselves.
41. The example of those who take allies other than Allāh is like that of the spider who takes a home.
And indeed, the weakest of homes is the home of the spider, if they only knew.
42. Indeed, Allāh knows whatever
thing they call upon other than Him. And He is the Exalted in Might, the Wise.
43. And these examples We present to the people, but none will
understand them except those of knowledge.
44. Allāh created
the heavens and the earth in truth. Indeed in that is a sign for the believers.
45. Recite, [O Muúammad], what has been revealed to you of the
Book and establish prayer. Indeed, prayer prohibits immorality and wrongdoing,
and the remembrance of Allāh is greater. And Allāh knows that which you do.
46. And do not argue with the People of the Scripture except in
a way that is best, except for those who commit injustice among them, and say,
“We believe in that which has been revealed to us and revealed to you. And our
God and your God is one; and we are Muslims [in submission] to Him.”
47. And thus We have sent down to you the Qur’ān. And those to
whom We [previously] gave the Scripture believe in it. And among these [people
of Makkah] are those who believe in it. And none reject Our verses except the
48. And you did not recite before it any scripture, nor did you
inscribe one with your right hand. Otherwise the falsifiers would have had
[cause for] doubt.
49. Rather, the Qur’ān is distinct verses [preserved] within the
breasts of those who have been given knowledge. And none reject Our verses
except the wrongdoers.
50. But they say, “Why are not signs sent down to him from his
Lord?” Say, “The signs are only with Allāh, and
I am only a clear warner.”
51. And is it not sufficient for them that We revealed to you
the Book which is recited to them? Indeed in that is a mercy and reminder for a
people who believe.
52. Say, “Sufficient is Allāh
between me and you as Witness. He knows what is in the heavens and earth. And
they who have believed in falsehood and disbelieved in Allāh
– it is those who are the losers.”
53. And they urge you to hasten the punishment. And if not for
[the decree of] a specified term, punishment would have reached them. But it
will surely come to them suddenly while they perceive not.
54. They urge you to hasten the punishment. And indeed, Hell
will be encompassing of the disbelievers
55. On the Day the punishment will cover them from above them
and from below their feet and it is said, “Taste [the result of] what you used
56. O My servants who have believed, indeed My earth is spacious,
so worship only Me.
57. Every soul will taste death. Then to Us will you be
58. And those who have believed and done righteous deeds – We
will surely assign to them of Paradise [elevated] chambers beneath which rivers
flow, wherein they abide eternally. Excellent is the reward of the [righteous]
59. Who have been patient and upon their Lord rely.
60. And how many a creature carries not its [own] provision. Allāh provides for it and for you. And He is the
Hearing, the Knowing.
61. If you asked them, “Who created the heavens and earth and
subjected the sun and the moon?” they would surely say, “Allāh.” Then how are they deluded?
62. Allāh extends
provision for whom He wills of His servants and restricts for him. Indeed Allāh is, of all things, Knowing.
63. And if you asked them, “Who sends down rain from the sky and
gives life thereby to the earth after its lifelessness?” they would surely say
“Allāh.” Say, “Praise to Allāh”; but most of them do not reason.
64. And this worldly life is not but diversion and amusement.
And indeed, the home of the Hereafter – that is the [eternal] life, if only
65. And when they board a ship, they supplicate Allāh, sincere to Him in religion. But when He
delivers them to the land, at once they associate others with Him
66. So that they will deny what We have granted them, and they
will enjoy themselves. But they are going to know.
67. Have they not seen that We made [Makkah] a safe sanctuary,
while people are being taken away all around them? Then in falsehood do they
believe, and in the favor of Allāh they
68. And who is more unjust than one who invents a lie about Allāh or denies the truth when it has come to him? Is
there not in Hell a [sufficient] residence for the disbelievers?
69. And those who strive for Us – We will surely guide them to
Our ways. And indeed, Allāh is with the doers