1. Alif, Lām, Meem.
2. These are verses of the wise Book,
3. As guidance and mercy for the doers of
4. Who establish prayer and give zakāh, and
they, of the Hereafter, are certain [in faith].
5. Those are on [right] guidance from their
Lord, and it is those who are the successful.
6. And of the
people is he who buys the amusement of speech to mislead [others] from the way
of Allāh without knowledge and who takes it in
ridicule. Those will have a humiliating punishment.
7. And when our verses are recited to him,
he turns away arrogantly as if he had not heard them, as if there was in his
ears deafness. So give him tidings of a painful punishment.
8. Indeed, those who believe and do
righteous deeds – for them are the Gardens of Pleasure.
9. Wherein they abide eternally; [it is] the
promise of Allāh [which is] truth. And He is
the Exalted in Might, the Wise.
10. He created the heavens without pillars that you
see and has cast into the earth firmly set mountains, lest it should shift with
you, and dispersed therein from every creature. And We sent down rain from the
sky and made grow therein [plants] of every noble kind.
11. This is the creation of Allāh. So show Me what those other than Him have created. Rather,
the wrongdoers are in clear error.
12. And We had
certainly given Luqmān wisdom [and said], "Be grateful to Allāh." And whoever is grateful is grateful for
[the benefit of] himself. And whoever denies [His favor] – then indeed, Allāh is Free of need and Praiseworthy.
13. And [mention, O Muúammad], when Luqmān
said to his son while he was instructing him, "O my son, do not associate
[anything] with Allāh. Indeed, association
[with him] is great injustice."
14. And We have enjoined upon man [care] for his
parents. His mother carried him, [increasing her] in weakness upon weakness,
and his weaning is in two years. Be grateful to Me and to your parents; to Me
is the [final] destination.
15. But if they endeavor to make you associate with
Me that of which you have no knowledge, do not obey them but accompany them in
[this] world with appropriate kindness and follow the way of those who turn
back to Me [in repentance]. Then to Me will be your return, and I will inform
you about what you used to do.
16. [And Luqmān said],
"O my son, indeed if wrong should be the weight of a mustard seed and
should be within a rock or [anywhere] in the heavens or in the earth, Allāh will bring it forth. Indeed, Allāh is Subtle and Acquainted.
17. O my son, establish prayer, enjoin what is
right, forbid what is wrong, and be patient over what befalls you. Indeed,
[all] that is of the matters [requiring] determination.
18. And do not turn your cheek [in contempt] toward
people and do not walk through the earth exultantly. Indeed, Allāh does not like everyone self-deluded and
19. And be moderate in your pace and lower your
voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."
20. Do you not see that Allāh
has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth
and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of
the people is he who disputes about Allāh
without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].
21. And when it is said to them, "Follow what Allāh has revealed," they say, "Rather, we
will follow that upon which we found our fathers." Even if Satan was
inviting them to the punishment of the Blaze?
22. And whoever submits his face to Allāh while he is a doer of good – then he has
grasped the most trustworthy handhold. And to Allāh
will be the outcome of [all] matters.
23. And whoever has disbelieved – let not his
disbelief grieve you. To Us is their return, and We will inform them of what
they did. Indeed, Allāh is Knowing of that
within the breasts.
24. We grant them enjoyment for a little; then We
will force them to a massive punishment.
25. And if you asked them, "Who created the
heavens and earth?" they would surely say, "Allāh."
Say, "[All] praise is [due] to Allāh";
but most of them do not know.
26. To Allāh
belongs whatever is in the heavens and earth. Indeed, Allāh
is the Free of need, the Praiseworthy.
27. And if whatever trees upon the earth were pens
and the sea [was ink], replenished thereafter by seven [more] seas, the words
of Allāh would not be exhausted. Indeed, Allāh is Exalted in Might and Wise.
28. Your creation and your resurrection will not be
but as that of a single soul.
Indeed, Allāh is Hearing and Seeing.
29. Do you not see that Allāh
causes the night to enter the day and causes the day to enter the night and has
subjected the sun and the moon, each running [its course] for a specified term,
and that Allāh, with whatever you do, is
30. That is because Allāh
is the Truth, and that what they call upon other than Him is falsehood, and
because Allāh is the Most High, the Grand.
31. Do you not see that ships sail through the sea
by the favor of Allāh that He may show you of
His signs? Indeed in that are
signs for everyone patient and grateful.
32. And when waves come over them like canopies,
they supplicate Allāh, sincere to Him in
religion. But when He delivers them to the land, there are [some] of them who
are moderate [in faith]. And none rejects Our signs except everyone treacherous
33. O mankind, fear your Lord and fear a Day when
no father will avail his son, nor will a son avail his father at all. Indeed, the
promise of Allāh is truth, so let not the
worldly life delude you and be not deceived about Allāh
by the Deceiver.
34. Indeed, Allāh
[alone] has knowledge of the Hour and sends down the rain and knows what is in
the wombs. And no soul perceives what it will earn tomorrow, and no soul
perceives in what land it will die. Indeed, Allāh
is Knowing and Acquainted.