1. [All] praise is [due] to Allāh, Creator of the heavens and the earth, [who]
made the angels messengers having wings, two or three or four. He increases in
creation what He wills. Indeed, Allāh is over
all things competent.
2. Whatever Allāh
grants to people of mercy – none can withhold it; and whatever He withholds –
none can release it thereafter. And He is the Exalted in Might, the Wise.
3. O mankind, remember the favor of Allāh upon you. Is there any creator other than Allāh who provides for you from the heaven and earth?
There is no deity except Him, so how are you deluded?
4. And if they deny you, [O
Muúammad] – already were messengers denied before you. And to Allāh are returned [all] matters.
5. O mankind, indeed the promise of Allāh is truth, so let not the worldly life delude
you and be not deceived about Allāh by the
6. Indeed, Satan is an enemy to you;
so take him as an enemy. He only invites his party to be among the companions
of the Blaze.
7. Those who disbelieve will have a severe
punishment, and those who believe and do righteous deeds will have forgiveness
and great reward.
8. Then is one to whom the
evil of his deed has been made attractive so he considers it good [like one
rightly guided]? For indeed, Allāh sends astray
whom He wills and guides whom He wills. So do not let yourself perish over them
in regret. Indeed, Allāh is Knowing of what
9. And it is Allāh who sends the winds, and they stir the clouds, and We drive
them to a dead land and give life thereby to the earth after its lifelessness.
Thus is the resurrection.
desires honor [through power] – then to Allāh
belongs all honor. To Him ascends good speech, and righteous work raises it.
But they who plot evil deeds will have a severe punishment, and the plotting of
those – it will perish.
11. And Allāh
created you from dust, then from a sperm-drop; then He made you mates. And no
female conceives nor does she give birth except with His knowledge. And no aged
person is granted [additional] life nor is his lifespan lessened but that it is
in a register. Indeed, that for Allāh is easy.
12. And not alike are the two bodies of
water. One is fresh and sweet, palatable for drinking, and one is salty and
bitter. And from each you eat tender meat and extract ornaments which you wear,
and you see the ships plowing through [them] that you might seek of His bounty;
and perhaps you will be grateful.
13. He causes the night to enter the
day, and He causes the day to enter the night and has subjected the sun and the
moon – each running [its course] for a specified term. That is Allāh, your Lord; to Him belongs sovereignty. And
those whom you invoke other than Him do not possess [as much as] the membrane
of a date seed.
14. If you invoke them, they do not
hear your supplication; and if they heard, they would not respond to you. And
on the Day of Resurrection they will deny your association. And none can inform
you like [one] Acquainted [with all matters].
15. O mankind, you are those in need of
Allāh, while Allāh
is the Free of need, the Praiseworthy.
16. If He wills, He can do away with
you and bring forth a new creation.
17. And that is for Allāh not difficult.
18. And no bearer of burdens will bear
the burden of another. And if a heavily laden soul calls [another] to [carry
some of] its load, nothing of it will be carried, even if he should be a close
relative. You can only warn those who fear their Lord unseen and have
established prayer. And whoever purifies himself only purifies himself for [the
benefit of] his soul. And to Allāh is the
19. Not equal are the blind and the
20. Nor are the darknesses and the
21. Nor are the shade and the heat,
22. And not equal are the living and
the dead. Indeed, Allāh causes to hear whom He
wills, but you cannot make hear those in the graves.
23. You, [O Muúammad], are not but a
24. Indeed, We have sent you with the
truth as a bringer of good tidings and a warner. And there was no nation but
that there had passed within it a warner.
25. And if they deny you – then already
have those before them denied. Their messengers came to them with clear proofs
and written ordinances and with the enlightening Scripture.
26. Then I seized the ones who
disbelieved, and how [terrible] was My reproach.
27. Do you not see that Allāh sends down rain from the sky, and We produce
thereby fruits of varying colors? And in the mountains are tracts, white and
red of varying shades and [some] extremely black.
28. And among people and moving
creatures and grazing livestock are various colors similarly. Only those fear Allāh, from among His servants, who have knowledge.
Indeed, Allāh is Exalted in Might and
29. Indeed, those who recite the Book
of Allāh and establish prayer and spend [in His
cause] out of what We have provided them, secretly and publicly, [can] expect a
profit that will never perish –
30. That He may give them in full their
rewards and increase for them of His bounty. Indeed, He is Forgiving and
31. And that which We have revealed to
you, [O Muúammad],
of the Book is the truth, confirming what was before it. Indeed, Allāh, of His servants, is Acquainted and Seeing.
32. Then we caused to inherit the Book
those We have chosen of Our servants; and among them is he who wrongs himself,
and among them is he who is moderate, and among them is he who is foremost in
good deeds by permission of Allāh. That
[inheritance] is what is the great bounty.
33. [For them are] gardens of perpetual
residence which they will enter. They will be adorned therein with bracelets of
gold and pearls, and their garments therein will be silk.
34. And they will say, "Praise to Allāh, who has removed from us [all] sorrow. Indeed,
our Lord is Forgiving and Appreciative –
35. He who has settled us in the home
of duration out of His bounty. There touches us not in it any fatigue, and
there touches us not in it weariness [of mind]."
36. And for those who disbelieve will
be the fire of Hell. [Death] is not decreed for them so they may die, nor will
its torment be lightened for them. Thus do we recompense every ungrateful one.
37. And they will cry out therein,
"Our Lord, remove us; we will do righteousness – other than what we were
doing!" But did We not grant you life enough for whoever would remember
therein to remember, and the warner had come to you? So taste [the punishment],
for there is not for the wrongdoers any helper.
38. Indeed, Allāh
is Knower of the unseen [aspects] of the heavens and earth. Indeed, He is
Knowing of that within the breasts.
39. It is He who has made you
successors upon the earth. And whoever disbelieves – upon him will be [the
consequence of] his disbelief. And the disbelief of the disbelievers does not
increase them in the sight of their Lord except in hatred; and the disbelief of
the disbelievers does not increase them except in loss.
40. Say, "Have you considered your
'partners' whom you invoke besides Allāh? Show
me what they have created from the earth, or have they partnership [with Him]
in the heavens? Or have We given them a book so they are [standing] on evidence
therefrom? [No], rather, the wrongdoers do not promise each other except
41. Indeed, Allāh
holds the heavens and the earth, lest they cease. And if they should cease, no
one could hold them [in place] after Him. Indeed, He is Forbearing and
42. And they swore by Allāh their strongest oaths that if a warner came to
them, they would be more guided than [any] one of the [previous] nations. But
when a warner came to them, it did not increase them except in aversion.
43. [Due to] arrogance in the land and
plotting of evil; but the evil plot does not encompass except its own people.
Then do they await except the way
of the former peoples? But you will never find in the way of Allāh any change, and you will never find in the way
of Allāh any alteration.
44. Have they not traveled through the
land and observed how was the end of those before them? And they were greater
than them in power. But Allāh is not to be
caused failure by anything in the heavens or on the earth. Indeed, He is ever
Knowing and Competent.
45. And if Allāh
were to impose blame on the people for what they have earned, He would not
leave upon the earth any creature. But He defers them for a specified term. And
when their time comes, then indeed Allāh has
ever been, of His servants, Seeing.