1. They ask you, [O Muúammad], about
the bounties [of war]. Say, "The [decision concerning] bounties is for Allāh and the Messenger." So fear Allāh and amend that which is between you and obey Allāh and His Messenger, if you should be believers.
2. The believers are only those who, when Allāh is mentioned, their hearts become fearful, and
when His verses are recited to them, it increases them in faith; and upon their
Lord they rely –
3. The ones who establish prayer,
and from what We have provided them, they spend.
4. Those are the believers, truly.
For them are degrees [of high position] with their Lord and forgiveness and
5. [It is] just as when your Lord
brought you out of your home [for the battle of Badr] in truth, while indeed, a
party among the believers were unwilling,
6. Arguing with you concerning the
truth after it had become clear, as if they were being driven toward death
while they were looking on.
7. [Remember, O believers], when Allāh promised you one of the two groups – that it
would be yours – and you wished that the unarmed one would be yours. But Allāh intended to establish the truth by His words
and to eliminate the disbelievers
8. That He should establish the
truth and abolish falsehood, even if the criminals disliked it.
9. [Remember] when you asked help of
your Lord, and He answered you, "Indeed, I will reinforce you with a
thousand from the angels, following one another."
10. And Allāh
made it not but good tidings and so that your hearts would be assured thereby.
And victory is not but from Allāh. Indeed, Allāh is Exalted in Might and Wise.
11. [Remember] when He overwhelmed you with
drowsiness [giving] security from Him and sent down upon you from the sky, rain
by which to purify you and remove from you the evil [suggestions] of Satan and
to make steadfast your hearts and plant firmly thereby your feet.
12. [Remember] when your Lord inspired to
the angels, "I am with you, so strengthen those who have believed. I will
cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieved, so strike [them] upon the
necks and strike from them every fingertip."
13. That is because they opposed Allāh and His Messenger. And whoever opposes Allāh and His Messenger – indeed, Allāh is severe in penalty.
14. "That [is yours], so taste
it." And indeed for the disbelievers is the punishment of the Fire.
15. O you who have believed, when you meet
those who disbelieve advancing [for battle], do not turn to them your backs [in
16. And whoever turns his back to them on
such a day, unless swerving [as a strategy] for war or joining [another]
company, has certainly returned with anger [upon him] from Allāh, and his refuge is Hell – and wretched is the
17. And you did not kill them, but it was Allāh who killed them. And you threw not, [O
Muúammad], when you threw, but it was Allāh who
threw that He might test the believers with a good test. Indeed, Allāh is Hearing and Knowing.
18. That [is so], and [also] that Allāh will weaken the plot of the disbelievers.
19. If you [disbelievers] seek the victory
– the defeat has come to you. And if you desist [from hostilities], it is best
for you; but if you return [to war], We will return, and never will you be
availed by your [large] company at all, even if it should increase; and [that
is] because Allāh is with the believers.
20. O you who have believed, obey Allāh and His Messenger and do not turn from him
while you hear [his order].
21. And do not be like those who say,
"We have heard," while they do not hear.
22. Indeed, the worst of living creatures
in the sight of Allāh are the deaf and dumb who
do not use reason.
23. Had Allāh
known any good in them, He would have made them hear. And if He had made them
hear, they would [still] have turned away, while they were refusing.
24. O you who have believed, respond to Allāh and to the Messenger when he calls you to that
which gives you life. And know that Allāh
intervenes between a man and his heart and that to Him you will be gathered.
25. And fear a trial which will not strike
those who have wronged among you exclusively, and know that Allāh is severe in penalty.
26. And remember when you were few and
oppressed in the land, fearing that people might abduct you, but He sheltered
you, supported you with His victory, and provided you with good things – that
you might be grateful.
27. O you who have believed, do not betray Allāh and the Messenger or betray your trusts while
you know [the consequence].
28. And know that your properties and your
children are but a trial and that Allāh has
with Him a great reward.
29. O you who have believed, if you fear Allāh, He will grant you a criterion and will remove
from you your misdeeds and forgive you. And Allāh
is the possessor of great bounty.
30. And [remember, O Muúammad], when those
who disbelieved plotted against you to restrain you or kill you or evict you
[from Makkah]. But they plan, and Allāh plans.
And Allāh is the best of planners.
31. And when Our verses are recited to
them, they say, "We have heard. If we willed, we could say [something]
like this. This is not but legends of the former peoples."
32. And [remember] when they said, "O Allāh, if this should be the truth from You, then rain
down upon us stones from the sky or bring us a painful punishment."
33. But Allāh
would not punish them while you, [O Muúammad], are among them, and Allāh would not punish them while they seek
34. But why should Allāh
not punish them while they obstruct [people] from al-Masjid al-îarām and they
were not [fit to be] its guardians? Its [true] guardians are not but the
righteous, but most of them do not know.
35. And their prayer at the House was not
except whistling and handclapping. So taste the punishment for what you
36. Indeed, those who disbelieve spend
their wealth to avert [people] from the way of Allāh.
So they will spend it; then it will be for them a [source of] regret; then they
will be overcome. And those who have disbelieved – unto Hell they will be
37. [This is] so that Allāh may distinguish the wicked from the good and
place the wicked some of them upon others and heap them all together and put
them into Hell. It is those who are the losers.
38. Say to those who have disbelieved
[that] if they cease, what has previously occurred will be forgiven for them.
But if they return [to hostility] – then the precedent of the former
[rebellious] peoples has already taken place.
39. And fight them until there is no fitnah
and [until] the religion, all of it, is for Allāh.
And if they cease – then indeed, Allāh is
Seeing of what they do.
40. But if they turn away – then know that Allāh is your protector. Excellent is the protector,
and Excellent is the helper.
41. And know that anything you obtain of
war booty – then indeed, for Allāh is one fifth
of it and for the Messenger and for [his] near relatives and the orphans, the
needy, and the [stranded] traveler, if you have believed in Allāh and in that which We sent down to Our Servant
on the day of criterion – the day when the two armies met. And Allāh, over all things, is competent.
42. [Remember] when you were on the near
side of the valley, and they were on the farther side, and the caravan was
lower [in position] than you. If you had made an appointment [to meet], you
would have missed the appointment. But [it was] so that Allāh might accomplish a matter already destined – that those who
perished [through disbelief] would perish upon evidence and those who lived [in
faith] would live upon evidence; and indeed, Allāh
is Hearing and Knowing.
43. [Remember, O Muúammad], when Allāh showed them to you in your dream as few; and if
He had shown them to you as many, you [believers] would have lost courage and
would have disputed in the matter [of whether to fight], but Allāh saved [you from that]. Indeed, He is Knowing of
that within the breasts.
44. And [remember] when He showed them to
you, when you met, as few in your eyes, and He made you [appear] as few in
their eyes so that Allāh might accomplish a
matter already destined. And to Allāh are [all]
45. O you who have believed, when you
encounter a company [from the enemy forces], stand firm and remember Allāh much that you may be successful.
46. And obey Allāh
and His Messenger, and do not dispute and [thus] lose courage and [then] your
strength would depart; and be patient. Indeed, Allāh
is with the patient.
47. And do not be like those who came forth
from their homes insolently and to be seen by people and avert [them] from the
way of Allāh. And Allāh
is encompassing of what they do.
48. And [remember] when Satan made their
deeds pleasing to them and said, "No one can overcome you today from among
the people, and indeed, I am your protector." But when the two armies
sighted each other, he turned on his heels and said, "Indeed, I am
disassociated from you. Indeed, I see what you do not see; indeed I fear Allāh. And Allāh is
severe in penalty."
49. [Remember] when the hypocrites and
those in whose hearts was disease said, "Their religion has deluded those
[Muslims]." But whoever relies upon Allāh
– then indeed, Allāh is Exalted in Might and
50. And if you could but see when the
angels take the souls of those who disbelieved… They are striking their faces
and their backs and [saying], "Taste the punishment of the Burning Fire.
51. That is for what your hands have put
forth [of evil] and because Allāh is not ever
unjust to His servants."
52. [Theirs is] like the custom of the
people of Pharaoh and of those before them. They disbelieved in the signs of Allāh, so Allāh
seized them for their sins. Indeed, Allāh is
Powerful and severe in penalty.
53. That is because Allāh would not change a favor which He had bestowed upon a people
until they change what is within themselves. And indeed, Allāh is Hearing and Knowing.
54. [Theirs is] like the custom of the
people of Pharaoh and of those before them. They denied the signs of their
Lord, so We destroyed them for their sins, and We drowned the people of
Pharaoh. And all [of them] were wrongdoers.
55. Indeed, the worst of living creatures
in the sight of Allāh are those who have
disbelieved, and they will not [ever] believe –
56. The ones with whom you made a treaty
but then they break their pledge every time, and they do not fear Allāh.
57. So if you, [O Muúammad], gain dominance
over them in war, disperse by [means of] them those behind them that perhaps
they will be reminded.
58. If you [have reason to] fear from a
people betrayal, throw [their treaty] back to them, [putting you] on equal
terms. Indeed, Allāh does not like traitors.
59. And let not those who disbelieve think
they will escape. Indeed, they will not cause failure [to Allāh].
60. And prepare against them whatever you
are able of power and of steeds of war by which you may terrify the enemy of Allāh and your enemy and others besides them whom you
do not know [but] whom Allāh knows. And
whatever you spend in the cause of Allāh will
be fully repaid to you, and you will not be wronged.
61. And if they incline to peace, then
incline to it [also] and rely upon Allāh.
Indeed, it is He who is the Hearing, the Knowing.
62. But if they intend to deceive you –
then sufficient for you is Allāh. It is He who
supported you with His help and with the believers
63. And brought together their hearts. If
you had spent all that is in the earth, you could not have brought their hearts
together; but Allāh brought them together.
Indeed, He is Exalted in Might and Wise.
64. O Prophet, sufficient for you is Allāh and for whoever follows you of the believers.
65. O Prophet, urge the believers to
battle. If there are among you twenty [who are] steadfast, they will overcome
two hundred. And if there are among you one hundred [who are] steadfast, they
will overcome a thousand of those who have disbelieved because they are a
people who do not understand.
66. Now, Allāh
has lightened [the hardship] for you, and He knows that among you is weakness.
So if there are from you one hundred [who are] steadfast, they will overcome
two hundred. And if there are among you a thousand, they will overcome two
thousand by permission of Allāh. And Allāh is with the steadfast.
67. It is not for a prophet to have
captives [of war] until he inflicts a massacre [upon Allāh's
enemies] in the land. Some Muslims desire the commodities of this world, but Allāh desires [for you] the Hereafter. And Allāh is Exalted in Might and Wise.
68. If not for a decree from Allāh that preceded, you would have been touched for
what you took by a great punishment.
69. So consume what you have taken of war
booty [as being] lawful and good, and fear Allāh.
Indeed, Allāh is Forgiving and Merciful.
70. O Prophet, say to whoever is in your
hands of the captives, "If Allāh knows
[any] good in your hearts, He will give you [something] better than what was
taken from you, and He will forgive you; and Allāh
is Forgiving and Merciful."
71. But if they intend to betray you – then
they have already betrayed Allāh before, and He
empowered [you] over them. And Allāh is Knowing
72. Indeed, those who have believed and
emigrated and fought with their wealth and lives in the cause of Allāh and those who gave shelter and aided – they are
allies of one another. But those who believed and did not emigrate – for you
there is no guardianship of them until they emigrate. And if they seek help of
you for the religion, then you must help, except against a people between
yourselves and whom is a treaty. And Allāh is
Seeing of what you do.
73. And those who disbelieved are allies of
one another. If you do not do so, there will be fitnah on earth and great
74. But those who have believed and emigrated
and fought in the cause of Allāh and those who
gave shelter and aided – it is they who are the believers, truly. For them is
forgiveness and noble provision.
75. And those who believed after [the
initial emigration] and emigrated and fought with you – they are of you. But
those of [blood] relationship are more entitled [to inheritance] in the decree
of Allāh. Indeed, Allāh
is Knowing of all things.